The Collegiate Church of San Nicolás de Alicante was erected as a Co-Cathedral on March 9, 1959, by the Bull of Juan XXIII, by which the diocese was renamed Orihuela-Alicante and this church was elevated to the rank of Co-Cathedral.
The bull was executed on August 15, 1959, in solemn celebration, starting from the Parish of Gracia, with the bull carried by the Bishop, under a canopy, it reached San Nicolás where the Eucharist was read and celebrated, before the Holy Face , which had been a transfer to the College, in which he had spent, after the war, more than three years. In the different visits of the Holy Face to Alicante, the Collegiate Church of San Nicolás has always been the place of permanence.
The construction of the Co-Cathedral of San Nicolás Alicante stands in the historic center of Alicante, very close to Calle Mayor. It was built between 1616 and 1738 in the space previously occupied by a medieval church. It brings together various styles, from the disorganized mannerism of the main nave to the full Baroque of the Chapel of Communion.
Currently the Co-Cathedral of San Nicolás de Alicante is the religious center of the city and shares the title of Cathedral with that of Orihuela. Both are seats of the bishop of the Diocese of Orihuela – Alicante since Juan XXIII appointed this, until then collegiate, as Co-Cathedral of the Diocese, in 1959.